Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Gift of Education



A guest post from Lorraine Casey, Continuing Studies' student.
 
I had the unique opportunity to attend university, in that my mother had signed over her Residential School Education Credits to me. She was genuinely happy and excited for me in my endeavours as I was the only one in my family who had not received any post-secondary education.

I have absolutely loved attending Royal Roads University. What a great site – it even has a castle for heavens sakes (!!!), scenery galore, beautiful gardens, a little waterfall, waterfront property one can sit at and enjoy one's lunch, and of course those beautiful peacocks.   Prior to enrolling at Royal Roads, I had checked online courses offered at UVic and Camosun, but found navigating their websites confusing and frustrating. I was so happy to find a Royal Roads University Continuing Studies catalogue at the library (a hard copy!), easy to follow, every bit of information I needed was right there, and that is what sold me on RRU.  Once enrolled, I found the staff so very helpful, cheerful with a genuine caring attitude. One could just feel the positive energy here.

My goal had been to obtain a Professional and Applied Communication Skills Certificate, for which I required eight courses. I had the first five classes with no problems, but then because of low enrolment, several of my classes had been cancelled and a couple re-scheduled; and I was getting concerned that I'd only get seven of the eight courses I needed. But with continued assistance from Tess Wixted and from Dr. Hilary Leighton, I was very excited to reach my goal!  May 26th was both an exciting and a sad day for me – exciting because I reached my goal and obtained my Communications Certificate, and sad because my course was complete and it would be my last day RRU.

I have had the best time – a definite High point in my life.

Thank you Mom, Tess and Hilary! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You too can learn more. Meet us at cstudies.royalroads.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment